Friday 10 June 2016

Read Me When You’re Older…




To my son,

You are almost five.

Being your mum has been the best and hardest journey I’ve ever been on. No one tells you just how much you will worry when you have a child. No one can make you see or feel how much you will love them. It’s hard to remember a time before you existed, or how I possibly filled the hours in a day without you to look after.
I love that you have your own ways and that your personality already stands out. I love your thirst for knowledge. You try and figure out how everything works around you with questions and probing. I encourage you to never stop doing that. Learn all that you can and use it to be a good man. A wise man that’s compassionate and successful.
I love how we already know each other- a connection between mother and son. I Love how we make each other laugh. How we drive each other slightly crazy when we’re both tired (there’s more of that to come over the years). Remember, when I’m driving you crazy it’s because I love and believe in you. I want what’s best for you, and for you to be all you can be in this life. I want you to be safe, and most of all happy. I will try and remember that you won’t drive me crazy forever, that all the things I’ve taught you will one day see you through.
Don’t ever try to be someone you’re not. I love who you already are and who you have the potential to be. Choose good friends, because the people in your life will influence you more than you know.
Remember that I am always your mum and I’m always here. I don’t always get it right. In fact, as you grow up you will see how wrong I do get things sometimes. One day If you have children of your own you will know why. Being a parent isn’t always easy, but I wouldn’t change it for anything.
You have made me prouder in the past five years than I’ve been in my entire life. I look forward to the rest of this journey as you grow up.
Let’s have fun and keep learning together.
Love always,

Mum x

2 comments: