Tuesday 23 August 2016

Somewhere between the sun and the clouds.

Yesterday, the sky was cobalt blue and the warmth of the full and uninhibited sun fell upon my skin, making the hairs on the backs of my arms stand on end. It was a welcome feeling, and I accepted every inch of potential the brilliant rays of heat cast upon me.

Today, there's an altogether different picture above me. Thick, grey clouds have rolled in and buried the sun beneath them as they re-establish their reign. They weren't overthrown for long. I close my eyes and imagine that I'm a child that can blow them away with large breaths. I would try, but however sincere the sentiment I know it would do no good.

As usual, there's no warning to signal the change in weather. No time to prepare for what the clouds are brewing. I hope, as always, for minimal damage this time around, and that the storm doesn't last as long as the time before.

I know that in the future, the sun will peep from behind the clouds once more, and the familiar sensation I enjoyed yesterday will touch my skin again. Each time I savour it more keenly, unsure how long I will be allowed to feel this way.

Most of the time, I live somewhere between the sun and the clouds, in the quiet contentment that exists as the two cohabit in the vast sky.

Occasionally, the cobalt blue sky returns and takes me by surprise. When it does, I lay beneath it and appreciate the calm as I think over all the storms I've faced and survived. Ever hopeful that this time, the patches of warmth and occasional unbridled heat of the sun find a way to remain.

KT x



2 comments:

  1. I've said it before and I'll say it again...you write so beautifully, such a way with words. Xxx

    ReplyDelete